Bach Christian Hospital opened in 1956 in the town of Qalandarabad, 6 miles from the city center of Abbottabad, where many of the hospital staff resides. Started by U.S. physicians, Bach is supported by The Evangelical Alliance Mission (TEAM), a Wheaton, III and group.
BCH was established to promote spiritual, mental and physical wholeness for people living in the mountainous regions of northern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. Its services are offered regardless of status, religion, gender, race or income. Since its earliest days, BCH has provided medical care for people living in the underserved valleys of Kaghan and Kohistan.
BCH has busy outpatient clinics and a 60 bed inpatient facility. The staff consists of nearly 200, including 8-10 expatriates from the US, UK and Germany. Approximately 60,000 outpatient visits are conducted each year with over 2000 surgical procedures and 1500 high-risk deliveries. Although provision of low cost medical care is a primary goal of the hospital, nobody can be treated free of cost because of the high cost of treatment rather, subsidized rates are offered to all, with a fund to assist those who cannot pay even the subsidized rates. With specialties in General Surgical services and complicated Obstetrics, BCH also maintains a small but high quality lab, basic X-Ray and ultrasound facilities, a well controlled pharmacy, and an active physical therapy department.
After all these years, the hospital still continues to act as a lifeline for the poor and underprivileged people of the Northern areas.