Christian sanitary workers host “iftar dinner” in response to Umerkot incident

1
797

In response to tragic death of a Christian sanitary worker, who died when a doctor denied touching him saying he was unclean. Pakistan for All’s (PFA) Sanitary Workers Union of Pakistan Christian community hosted an Iftar dinner for Muslims.

Irfan Masih death case

In keeping with details, this Iftar dinner was organized at a church in Lahore. Speaking in this regard, Pastor Hidayat Assi said he felt proud that his church had organized an interfaith Iftar dinner for Muslims. He said that even after the Umerkot incident, organizing such a dinner was merely to express harmony with their fellow Muslim brothers. “The true message and essence of Ramazan is this,” he said.

Also Read: Religious extremists hunt after Pakistani Christian lawyer

“In the name of our brother Irfan Massih, we call on all faiths in our motherland to come together as one humanity. We are one humanity created by God in this beloved motherland. Our religions teach us to love. Let us then come together. Ramzan stands for peace and love,” he said.

Pastor Assi further said: “This is the Pakistan that the Sanitary Workers Union believes in. This is the Pakistan of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. We still hold in our hearts the promise of our founder that Pakistan is for All.”

He went on to explain that even the holy Quran recognizes the “principle of inclusiveness” and unity as it says: ” “Ya aiyuhal Nas” (translated O Humankind) mentioned directly 306 times in the holy Quran. “And indirectly more than two thousand times in over 6,000 verses.” During this dinner, prayers were also offered for the soul of Irfan Masih, a Christian worker who died in Umerkot.

The Iftar dinner follows horrific incident of doctor’s negligence in handling the case of a Christian patient. According to Irfan Masih’s brother: “Dr Yousuf said he would not touch Irfan’s dirty body until it was cleaned because he was fasting.” Irfan’s brother Pervaiz Masih, disclosed that he cleaned Irfan’s body, after which an oxygen pump was sent for Irfan, but that was empty.

Irfan Masih was a sewer cleaner and he fell unconscious after he inhaled poisonous gases locked inside a manhole; after he dived down to clean the manhole. Pervaiz Masih detailed that Irfan was rushed to Civil Hospital as soon as possible, had the doctor attended him; his life could have been saved.

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.