. Dear followers we need your financial support to continue reporting you the voice of Christians in trouble. [Donate here]

I have pledged not to drink liquor says Christian who survived after drinking methylated spirit


Christian who miraculously survived after drinking methylated spirit during New Year revelry has vowed not to drink liquor ever. He said that he will abstain from drinking alcohol in future. Five Christians died after drinking tainted liquor in Peshawar’s Sawati Gate area. In all six Christian consumed methylated spirit on New Year’s Eve.

Christians consumed toxic liquor in Pakistan

Shahzad Masih, the only survivor out of the six who had consumed tainted liquor said that he has vowed not to indulge in such activities in future. “My three brothers-in-law Victor Masih, Qaiser Masih and Nasir Masih and his son Kamal Masih and friend Raja Masih died after drinking poisonous liquor. I was the only one who survived,” he stated.

Also Read: Pakistani Christians and Muslims demand for recovery of the missing activists

While talking to media, he said: “I have pledged not to drink liquor or take any other intoxicant in future. I have promised our priest, wife and relatives that I won’t touch these things again.” He further laid great stress saying: “Meri toba, meri toba,” saying that he will never ever repeat the mistake in his life.

Shahzad further explained that “Since we are poor and couldn’t afford to buy good quality liquor, we purchased spirit and mixed it with a carbonated drink to get high. We cannot even afford the cheaper ‘desi sharab’ available in Jamrud in Khyber Agency,” he said.

Revealing about the incident, he said that the six of them consumed methylated spirit in Saddar area. “We had no proper place to enjoy so we drank under the open sky in Peshawar Saddar area. After drinking this concoction, we left for our homes in the Swati Gate locality but our condition started deteriorating and we were taken to the Lady Reading Hospital.”

He revealed that he purchased ‘China cuppa’ from shops in Saddar and Hashtnagri. “I was once put behind bars for possessing a bottle of spirit,” he said. He urged for police action against sellers of this kind of spirit demanding that government should declare the sale of this kind of spirit as illegal. “The police should arrest those selling spirit to save people from getting killed,” he added.

He was recently discharged from the hospital is now recuperating at his home. He works as a sanitation worker at the Peshawar Museum. He said that he had survived because he started vomiting after he drank the spirit. He said that even though he survived, his eye sight has been badly affected. He said that he needs an eye specialist.