. Dear followers we need your financial support to continue reporting you the voice of Christians in trouble. [Donate here]

India: A crowd of about 100 extremists attacks prayer meeting


A crowd of about 100 extremists attacked a prayer meeting, several believers injured. The incident unfolded in India’s Karnataka, when a group of believers belonging from Ceylon Pentecostal Mission were gathered for weekly prayer meeting. Angry mob beat the worshipers and injured several of them.

Christian persecution in India

The incident unfolded in Santosh Nagar in Hubli, in the state of Karnataka, On November 1, Thursday when the believers had gathered about 100 incensed extremists stormed into the building and attacked the worshipers, the incident was witnessed by police, who according to International Christian Concern stood by and did nothing to stop the attackers.

Also Read: Pakistani Christian school teacher faces sexual harassment and death threats at work place

Christian persecution watchdog International Christian Concern, reveals that the police watched the attackers beating and injuring believers but no action was taken. A 36-year-old victim Arjun S. Hattimatur told ICC: We were beaten up in the presence of the police. They were watching us like spectators. We were taken to the police station on the false charges that we were involved in the forcible conversions and the police filed an FIR (First Information Report) against us.”

Arjun Hattimatur sustained severe head injury as a result of the beating. He was left to bleed for hours before he could be transported to the hospital. Consequently, Christians filed a counter FIR, ICC reported.

The local pastor was not present at the time of the attack, and Mr. Arjun Hattimatur was leading the prayer meeting. For this reason he was the prime target of the attackers. The mob arrived at around 15 minutes until 8 in the evening. Since the attack, Mr. Arjun is afraid to leave his house, likewise rest of the Christians are terrified.

“This is the not the first time. We were attacked twice in the last few years, but then the police acted fairly and the rule of law was applied. In this case, nothing seems to be working for us as both the media and police took the side of the attackers,” he told ICC.