Jesus said, “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:44,45
Imagine how incredible it would be for extremist ISIS jihadists to encounter the living Person of Lord Jesus Christ, to see the witness of the Iraqi Church, the testimony of persecuted Christians.
It’s so easy to wish that every militant would be killed, leaving the Iraqi people free to rebuild their lives. But rather than pray for their deaths, perhaps instead ask for God’s will and justice to be done, trusting that his understanding is greater than ours.
Following are suggestions how you can pray for ISIS:
• Pray for the Holy Spirit to convict the ISIS leadership and its warriors of their hatred of Christians and Shiite Muslims, Yazidis and others.
• Pray for ISIS leaders to end their conquest of Iraq.
• Pray for ISIS to release women and children that they have kidnapped. Pray for emotional healing for the victims of sexual assault and for relatives of people massacred in Iraq.
• Pray for peace in Iraq and Syria.
• Pray for the Gospel to change hearts and minds throughout the Middle East.
• Pray for food, clothing, shelter and medical care for refugees that have fled ISIS.
Its time we should examine our own hearts, and look at the way we approach the Iraqi crisis in prayer. What could happen if we put our Lord Jesus’ command of loving our enemies into practice?