UN releases official figures of those who fled as a result of Boko Haram’s recent attacks.
The United Nations said on Tuesday January 13, that the latest wave of Boko Haram’s “vicious, ruthless attacks” in the north-eastern part of the country had sent 11,320 people fleeing into Chad in a matter of days. Earlier this month, the Islamist group stormed the town of Baga on January 3, and subsequently attacked at least 16 surrounding settlements.
At the same time as it has not been possible for the aid workers to enter the area to verify details the massacre and number of causalities and the number of corpses decaying in the streets. This attack is thought to be the worst massacre since Boko Haram’s deadly insurgency began in 2009.
The UN refugee agency said that around 11,320 people had arrived in neighbouring Chad alone. A full 60 per cent of the new arrivals in Chad were women and girls, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) spokesman, William Spindler, told journalists, adding that 84 unaccompanied children had also crossed over.
Another 2,000 people had become stranded on an island in Lake Chad during their desperate escape, he said, adding that UNHCR was working to transport them to the mainland. “We deeply deplore the vicious, ruthless attacks against civilians in Baga,” Ravina Shamdasani, spokeswoman for the UN rights agency, told reporters in Geneva.