The Sacred Heart Convent School in Lahore is one of the oldest schools of the city. It belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lahore founded in 1908. It was founded under the direction of the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary when the great famine affected the subcontinent in the 19th century.
Many children had been orphaned in the famine and the Sisters were compelled to travel to Pakistan to care for them they built orphanages and fed and brought up children in the house built for them. The famine was soon history and the orphanage was not needed. Financial support from abroad also stopped coming and this was when Sister Marie de la Trinite Lootens inserted a notice in the newspapers to announce the opening of a school for girl boarders and day scholars of well-to-do families.
The school began operation on 3rd June 1908. Soon the number of pupils had risen to 17 and by the end of 1909 Hindi and Urdu as well as English were being taught throughout the school. The pupils were prepared for the Senior Oxford Examination. From then up to the time of Partition the number of pupils rose steadily to over 600.
The school takes pride in having established a high standard of education. People no longer hesitate in trusting their children to a Christian Institute because Sacred Heart has set the bar high. By the 1920’s the school had so expanded that more accommodation was needed, this necessitated in the construction of a whole new block which was ready by December 1926.
The campus was expanded further in 2003 to accommodate the growing enrollment and every subject is now being taught at the institute. Both matriculation and O level classes are conducted and throughout the history of the school the pupils have always had every opportunity of developing their personal talents.
Another forte of the school in its earlier days was the stress placed upon music. In 1986 Computer Science was added to the curriculum and we have today two state of the art computer labs and in all some forty odd computers.
The boarding facility was closed down in 1972 and in 2001 the boys section was closed to make it an all girl’s school. The dedicated staff is working from strength to strength and is committed to provide the highest level of education.