A Pakistani Christian legend, Professor Victoria Patrick has been acknowledged as a writer, teacher, translator, poetess, songwriter, educator and educationalist nationwide and internationally. This brilliant educationalist has 37 years of teaching experience under her belt with 32 years of teaching at the Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore and 5 years at Foreman Christian College (C.U.) Lahore.
Professor Vistoria has produced extensive publications including
- “Rehmat” (poems on women’s issues) with cassette,
- “Ao karobar karen” (sponsored by UNICEF),
- “Deep deep ujala” (educational poems and songs),
- “Pankharian” (32 poems for children published by Nirali Kitabein as a textbook),
- “Rahein” (booklet on problem-solving for neo-literates sponsored by UNESCO).
This highly intellectual woman had also translated more than 70 books from English into Urdu her prominent works in this field include,”The upper room” for 10 years and prepared 5 cycles of “Daily Bread” for Scripture Union Pakistan.
She has also worked with the Pakistan Bible Society , Masihi Ishayat Khana, the Director of Social Welfare Government of Punjab, Good News Ministry, Jesus Christ Television (regular translator of 700 club and In-touch Ministries) and N.C.C.P. (National Council of Churches in Pakistan).
Her Urdu articles have been published in many reputable Pakistani and international magazines and newspapers including: Nawa-e waqt, Caritas, Naqeeb, Nai Dyniya, Qasid-e Jadeed, Shadab, Sawan, Humsukhan, and Tadeeb. Between 1959 and 1961 her short stories appeared in “Hilal”, a Pakistan Army weekly.
Professor Victoria has been highly honoured and has received more than 60 awards including Best Poetess Award (Masihi Bazm-e Danish 1982), Sitara-e Pakistan (Girl Guide Association 1984), Best Poetess Award (Caritas Pakistan 1986-1988), Adbi Wirsa Award for Poetry (1998), I. D. Shahabaz Award (Christian Writers’ Guild 2003), Lyricist Award (Waves Studio 2002), Fatima Jinnah Gold Medal in recognition of educational and literary services (12th Governor of Punjab 2004), Silver Jubilee Cerebration Award (LRI 2008), LCC Church (2009), B.M. Yad Award (2010).
She has been widely acknowledged as a lyricts in Pkaistani Music industry as some of the most leading singers sung songs written by her. Her well-known work includes,
- Maan di chunni chavway, (sung by Usatand Nurat Fateh Alli Khan)
- Jey maan Mrryam (Noor Jehan)
- Ao ahl-e jehan hum chraghan karain (A. Nayyar and Mehnaz)
- Ehd karien and Aman ka panchi (Benjamin sisters)
- Nai zamin ho niya asman (A. Nayyar)
- Rabba putran de phutt (Saira Khanam)
- Mann Mariyam banai khuda ney (Surrya Khanam)
Her song Roshni roshni sara alam huwa is included in the Sialkot Convention song book.
Moreover, Professor Victoria used to read a radio column for the women’s programme Hamari Duniya and co-ordinated Christmas and Easter programmes for T.V, radio and various institutions and organizations.