LAHORE: Saint Francis school ahs been restored to the Archdiocese of Lahore after it was nationalized by the government previously.
The school was among the properties nationalized in the past by the Pakistani government. According tot a report by Fides, Christian protested for the restoration of this institution to the church in recent months demanding for its return. The piece of land is a disputed plot where the St. Francis School is built, Lahore’s Anarkali.
Christians have expressed satisfaction with the successful outcome, Fr. Andrew Nisari, Vicar General of Lahore, recalled “the valuable role carried out by Christians in the field of education in Pakistan” and that “the majority of the Pakistani political leadership received education in Catholic schools”.
Saint Francis School was founded in 1842, was taken by the Pakistani government in 1972 as part of the policy of the then President Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto who decided to nationalize schools, universities and hospitals held by Christians in the country. However, in 2004, President Pervez Musharraf initiated the return of such properties and 16 schools returned back under the control of the Archdiocese of Lahore except the St. Francis School.