Another victim of toxic liquor consumption in Toba Tek Singh, admitted in the hospital in critical condition. The victim namely Pervez Masih was rushed to the Allied Hospital in Faisalabad after being discharged initially. Similar to Pervez Masih, dozens others affected by toxic liquor are still receiving treatment in hospitals.
Reportedly, Pervez Masih had already received treatment in the Allied Hospital for five days but was discharged, however, on Monday January 2, he fell unconscious again. He was rushed to Faisalabad for medical treatment. Doctors said that he was in critical condition and were trying their best to save his life.
Pervez Masih is one of at least 150 people who were affected by intake of tainted liquor. The incident took place on Christmas Eve when people consumed tainted liquor; the death toll has risen to 50 while dozens are still receiving treatment in District Hospital Toba Tek Singh and Allied Hospital in Faisalabad.
On January 3, Federal Minister for Human Rights Kamran Michael called on the bereaving families of Mubarakabad Basti in Toba Tek Singh. He was accompanied by a group of Christian leaders including pastors and political activists. While addressing the assembly of local Christians, Federal Minister assured the bereaved families that the nation stands in solidarity with them in this hour of distress.
Shortly after the incident, DPO Toba Tek Singh, Usman Akram Gondal while addressing a press conference, said that the tragedy had unfolded because the victims had consumed aftershave lotion instead of liquor. He further briefed the media about the raids being carried out in this connection. He said that police is making all out efforts in order to hook the perpetrators, revealing further that the prime suspect in this case, namely Sawan Masih is among five suspects who have already been arrested. At this occasion, the detainees were presented before the media.
DPO Usman Akram Gondal said that the prime suspect Sawan Masih and Iqbal Rakka Masih, Sajjad Masih and Adeel Mani Masih took 20-liter chemical can to Mubarakabad on the Christmas day. He further revealed that the chemical basically; aftershave lotion which was later sold to the people after being mixed with other poisonous chemicals or water.